Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day off at and away from work

We woke up around 4:30am to various beeps due to some kind of power outage that kept turning off and on the various appliances and alarm system. We had to get up in an hour for our ultrasound inservice for the ED staff, and fortunately, the power returned on for good. Ruth looked pretty cute in her scrubs and Crocs. The session went well with everyone able to get flash in the IV using the Sonosite. We came home and I fell asleep immediately while Ruth and Amy went to the Arboretum with Angela and Will. I ate a late lunch with Ben at Chuy's, and we had a great discussion about life and his future. I came home and played some guitar. We returned to the ED but did not get to do another inservice so we went home. We stopped at the neighborhood Thai restaurant. At home we did a little praise and worship. Amy helped me come up with a 5 song set: Mighty to Save, We Fall Down, You're Worthy of My Praise, The Heart of Worship, and I Could Sing of Your Love Forever. I am not for certain where all the lyrics for these songs come from but here is what I found:

"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Zephaniah 3:17

Chris Tomlin's comments from http://www.familychristian.com/music/interviews/chris_noise.he.makes1.asp
FamilyChristian.com: Tell me about the song "We Fall Down."
Chris: I'd written a song from those two weeks that Louie and I were at youth camp. He had been talking on Revelation 4. I remember sitting in this hotel room and something just kept coming out and I just got out my guitar. I went over to Louie's room and said, "What do you think?" He just said, "Oh man." I didn't think it was that good and he said, "Oh, man, we're going to use that. I'd like to use that at Passion." It was the song, "We Fall Down." Today, almost every single place I go, people know that song and it blows my mind. I walked into Passion '97 and Sam Perry, who was the main worship leader for that event, started doing "We Fall Down." When all these people started singing it, I couldn't handle it. It was like God was affirming that this is what He was going to do with me. He had given me the gift to write music, and I better start writing it!

http://www.theheartofworship.org/stories.shtml
David Ruis mentions that "You're Worthy of My Praise" was one of the first worship songs he wrote. He was at a church in British Columbia. He had his daughter who was 3 or 4 years old at the time do the echo to see if the song would work.

Matt Redman's comments from http://www.crosswalk.com/1253122/
“There was a dynamic missing, so the pastor did a pretty brave thing. He decided to get rid of the sound system and band for a season, and we gathered together with just our voices. His point was that we’d lost our way in worship, and the way to get back to the heart would be to strip everything away... Before long, we reintroduced the musicians and sound system, as we’d gained a new perspective that worship is all about Jesus, and He commands a response in the depths of our souls no matter what the circumstance and setting. ‘The Heart of Worship’ simply describes what occurred.”

Martin Smith's comments from http://www.crossrhythms.co.uk/articles/music/Delirious/20129/p1/
"I can't even remember what year it is. It must be '94-ish time. We were on holiday as a family. We were in Devon, staying in an old farmhouse. It overlooked the sea and the hills and the mountains. It really was, sit on the edge of a hill, pre-kids, being able to dream a bit more, I grabbed an acoustic.cor, this is beautiful! The mountains, the sea.this is amazing! That song just wrote itself in about five minutes. The same chords the whole way through the song. I mean that's embarrassing really!"

No comments:

Post a Comment