Saturday, February 14, 2009

Amy came home at 7:15am from work and went to bed. I got Ruth ready for Grace Silge's birthday party and wrapped the gifts. Ruth and I stopped by Albertson's for a birthday card and gift bag. The party was full of kids and adults. It was nice to see a lot of people from the small group this morning. Afterwards, we met Ben at a Thai restaurant and ate a whole fish that Amy isn't fond of me ordering (because it has eyes that stare at her). We all then went to get bubble tea, and Ruth fell asleep during the drive. We came home at 2:30pm, and Ruth continued her nap with Amy. I got to work on my guitar playing for Wednesday night. We went to eat dinner at Jason's Deli. After Amy went to work another night shift, we headed over to see Nick Kennedy's house. Will was already in bed. We watched some DVR shows and the NBA slam dunk contest. We had some discussions on what Jesus wants us to do in our lives and other important discussions (in addition to watching MTV's spin off from the "The Hills"). Ruth fell asleep, and unlike last night, she stayed asleep. I was able to easily put her in her bed which was a blessing.

I read Mark tonight from where Neil left off last Sunday and ran into verses he had preached in the past. Mark 4:13-20 says:
13Then Jesus said to them, "Don't you understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable? 14The farmer sows the word. 15Some people are like seed along the path, where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that was sown in them. 16Others, like seed sown on rocky places, hear the word and at once receive it with joy. 17But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. 18Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; 19but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful. 20Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the word, accept it, and produce a crop—thirty, sixty or even a hundred times what was sown."

My fear is that I have been like the seed in rocky places where my passion burns out, it doesn't last. Also, I have allowed worries, deceitfulness of wealth, and desires for other things to lead me the wrong way. My prayer is that I am more like the seed sown on good soil. I headed to bed now for prayer and preparation for the "One Service" tomorrow which means we will have to get there early.

No comments:

Post a Comment